Hi! I'm Brooke.
I'm a woman who has been happily wielding her camera for nearly two decades. It has always been, from the beginning until now, for love's sake that I have taken pictures.
I love what passes between the people groups we call families when their hearts are full of love. I like to catch that in a frame. the look on a mother's face the moment her baby is pulled to her chest for the first time takes my breath away. I love the details that reveal the essence of a place, a moment, a person. I like to catch those, too. I love the way that light falls across a face or a space. I love "found beauty," the kind that exits in the ordinary moments and places, whether you're trying or not.
It took me years, but found my niche within photography a few years ago. You know that moment when you finally are able to narrow it down to THE thing you are meant to be doing, and to say "no" to all the rest? Well, for me the niche is all photography that celebrates families in their raw form, and unveils the beauty that's found there. Practically speaking, this means that I photograph:
- families in their homes, doing ordinary things together
- families in labor and birth
- families figuring out a new normal with a newborn
- families (well, mamas and babies, specifically) breastfeeding
Giving my resounding YES to these specific forms of photography has been so life-giving for me as an artist and as a person, and I am confident -- more than ever -- that I'm giving my clients something truly beautiful, valuable, and soulful.
I'd love to collaborate with you to tell the stories unfolding in your own family. This is the kind of investment you will never regret having made. and to show you why I'm so confident about that, read this. And if you don't want to take MY word for it, peruse this.
A few tidbits about me (photographers are people, too):
- I live in a sweet old redeemed home on the west side of the city in a neighborhood that is a bit gritty and neglected, but which i love. a lot of our friends live within two blocks of us, and we share life, weekly meals, and prayer rhythms with one another.
- I am married to a man who I believe is one of the best human beings on the planet. It was nine months between the day I first laid eyes on him and the day we said "I do." He plays the guitar and is a pastor-man here.
- I am a mother to a precocious kindergarten girl named Hazel June (born June 2011), a jolly preschool boy named Gus Abraham (born March 2013), a peaceful toddler boy named Walter Solomon (born March 2015), and a sweet baby girl named Maeve December (born December 2016). Their births and their lives have transformed me.
- I am a birth junkie. that just means that I love learning about and sharing wisdom about natural and home birth. I aspire to become a midwife, and am currently apprenticing with an area midwife while studying for certification.
- I love my iMac. I even lug it into coffee shops when I need a concentrated work time outside my house and the kid-noises therein.
- My ideal vacation will always include a body of water. I love to look at lakes, listen to their waves, and swim into their deepest sections. Also, trees.
- I almost always wear neutral and muddy colors, and am rather distracted by the brights ones. Mostly I shop at thrift stores. Mostly my clothing is all cotton, because my skin needs to breath.
- If you want to get me going on a conversational topic, you can't lose with Enneagram or natural birth.
- I belong to a beautiful spiritual family called the stockbridge boiler room.
- Above all else, I love Jesus. He is alive and lovely and true, and he is worth getting to know intimately.
Brooke is on maternity leave and will not be scheduling any sessions until late February. However, booking inquiries can still be sent and sessions planned in advance. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org, and be patient with the slower speed of her reply.
Please, I'd love to connect if any part of you feels inclined toward collaborating together on creating a set of images that will be treasured for years.